THE CHOCOLATE MEDITATION
Choose some chocolate – either a type that you have never tried before or one that you have not eaten recently. It might be dark and flavoursome, organic or fair-trade or whatever you choose. The important thing is to choose a type you wouldn't normally eat or that you consume only rarely. Here goes:
- Open the packet. Inhale the aroma. Let it sweep over you.
- Break off a piece and look at it. Really let your eyes drink in what it looks like, examining every nook and cranny.
- Pop it in your mouth. See if it's possible to hold it on your tongue and let it melt, noticing any tendency to suck at it.
Chocolate has over three hundred different flavours. See if you can sense some of them.
- If you notice your mind wandering while you do this, simply notice where it went, then gently escort it back to the present moment.
- After the chocolate has completely melted, swallow it very slowly and deliberately. Let it trickle down your throat.
- Repeat it with the next piece.
How do you feel? Is it different to normal? Did the chocolate taste better than if you'd just eaten it at a normal breakneck pace?